The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New amp weekend/BitMo mods?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcr45

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: New amp weekend/BitMo mods? Reply with quote

When Musician's Friend had a coupon for an extra 15% off used gear, I ordered an Epiphone Valve Jr. for about $70. Really dig it with my Les Paul, but it needs a bit more chime on top to use with my Strat, Tele, and p-90 Riviera.

I'm looking into doing the BitMo TRIO mods, but $50 seems a little steep for what I'm sure is just a couple of dollars worth of components and some instructions. Can anyone point me to a schematic or (preferably) a photo essay describing the TRIO mods?

Along the same lines, have any of you done these mods? How were the results? Did you also do a tranny upgrade?
Travst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head over to sewatt.com. They have an entire forum devoted to Valve Jr. mods. I didn't do the Bitmo mods, but I did upgrade my tranny and built a Supro clone board. Very, very nice.
tcr45

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....Supro clone. That sounds interesting. Do you have any sound clips posted online?
kojdogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few EVJ's-- a stock combo (probably V1), a partially modded head (couple of the minor sewatt.com mods), that same head but with a Heyboer OT, a head with the Turretboards.com Marshallized mod (now rjhalsey's) and another one almost exactly like that one.

I like them a lot-- at all of the stages of modding I've got to try them with. The Turretboard modded ones I've had have really sounded great. What I will say is that even if you just have the stock head, try it with some good dirt pedals-- you may be surprised at how good it sounds. Cheap tone fix = EVJ + Behringer TO800 tube screamer clone.
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcr45 wrote:
Hmmm....Supro clone. That sounds interesting. Do you have any sound clips posted online?

I don't have clips due to lack of equipment. But, think early Zep.
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clips=Doesn't exist.
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
No clips=Doesn't exist.

Good point. My invisible Tele and invisible Supro.
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a Supro... but one that actually puts out quite a bit of volume.
tcr45

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kojdogg wrote:
I've had a few EVJ's-- a stock combo (probably V1), a partially modded head (couple of the minor sewatt.com mods), that same head but with a Heyboer OT, a head with the Turretboards.com Marshallized mod (now rjhalsey's) and another one almost exactly like that one.

I like them a lot-- at all of the stages of modding I've got to try them with. The Turretboard modded ones I've had have really sounded great. What I will say is that even if you just have the stock head, try it with some good dirt pedals-- you may be surprised at how good it sounds. Cheap tone fix = EVJ + Behringer TO800 tube screamer clone.

Great suggestion. I stuck my Analogman TS9 in front of the EVJ and it sounds absolutely killer with my '71 Les Paul Deluxe.

I did go ahead an order the BitMo TRIO mod kit, just for grins.
tab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Bitmo mods work out for you -
I tried one of their kits on a 5W Blackheart head - all the parts were there and the instructions were pretty easy to follow... the final result was so minimal it came no where near justifying the cost of the kit.

Keep us posted.
tcr45

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: BitMo mods completed Reply with quote

tab wrote:
I hope the Bitmo mods work out for you -
I tried one of their kits on a 5W Blackheart head - all the parts were there and the instructions were pretty easy to follow... the final result was so minimal it came no where near justifying the cost of the kit.

Keep us posted.

Just finished soldering the BitMo mods into my EVJ. Result? The BEST $50 I have ever spent. It took this amp from being basically a one-trick pony to a versatile and (more importantly) toneful monster. I was most surprised by how good the "bright" (Fender) setting sounds. This my new favorite amp and setting for my thinline Tele. The "Brit" (Marshall) sounds quite good with my Les Paul, but I haven't spent much time with that combo yet. Also quite impressed with the "Brat" (Vox top-boost) setting. It did exactly what I wanted to achieve when using my p-90 loaded Epi Riviera--give a somewhat dark-sounding guitar a nice shimmery top. It sounds SOOOOOOO good.

The tone knob stays pretty dark until around 3 o'clock, but it does have enough range between 3 and 6 to compensate between differences in my guitars. And the Pull Gain feature gooses the pre-amp just right--great for adding some breakup at lower volumes.

I should note that the Vox channel has very, very little headroom. It gets real crunchy at 9 o'clock and very saturated anywhere past noon. Not a huge flaw by any means, as I intend to use this amp for recording, but if you want a clean Vox sound at a gig, you'll need to mic it.

Overall, very impressed with this amp and these mods. No more muddy low-end and much better definition among the individual strings when chording.

FYI, I'm running the EVJ into an open-back 2x12 with MIE Greenbacks. Occasionally use a little bit of reverb from an EHX Cathedral.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: