The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOX 212 Cab Stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Structo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: VOX 212 Cab Stuff Reply with quote

Unless you like to tinker and mess around with electronics, amps, speakers, etc. this probably won't interest you. Razz

I've had this VOX 2x12 cabinet for years. It was my main cab for many of those years.
When I bought it (for $35 in 1973) the VOX Bulldog speakers were blown and buzzed terribly.
So being young and dumb, I took them out and threw them away, not knowing that they could have been reconed.....doh!

I put two Radio Shack speakers in because I was young and dumb and broke..... Very Happy

Later on I installed two Sheffield 12" guitar speakers that weren't too bad sounding so I used those for a few more years with a Peavey amp head.
It was the 80's and metal was in!

Then a couple years ago I bought a new 2x12 cab made by Lopoline.
They make an inexpensive line of cabs.
They are worth what you pay, just more of a budget line of cabs than the more expensive ones.
I have never been real happy with the tone of this cab, it always sounded small and boxy.

I've tried three different pairs of speakers in it with the last being the EVM 12L Classics that are a excellent 200w speaker.
They are the kind of speaker that don't add a lot of character to the tone of the amp, they sort of let you hear the amp and what it's doing so more of a transparent speaker, but a real power house.

But it still had that weird small, boxy tone which I can only attribute to the cab. It is pretty small for a 2x12.

So last week I dug out the old VOX cab, dusted it off and installed the EVM's in it.
Wow!
What a difference!
The speakers seemed to jump to life and now sound like I have always heard them described, especially with a Dumble type amp.
The cabinet and tolex are really in pretty decent shape considering what I have put it through and the fact it is probably 45 years old.

I believe this speaker cab was from the American made VOX Buckingham amp that the Thomas Organ Company contracted with VOX when they started manufacturing solid state VOX amps in America around 1965.
So I think this is from around 1965-66.
But I have yet to see this identical speaker cab, with the separate letters for the VOX logo without the strike through.

This cab is made from 3/4" solid plywood. The baffle seems to be made from particle board but the actual box is ply.
Very sturdy.
Later Thomas used particle board for everything and the quality went down the tubes.
I may experiment with the back panels by making a new one and try different oval style ports just for fun.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MHnI-B0pJ8k/TEeN-fbpjHI/AAAAAAAAAHg/iH8kFPXeMFA/s400/IMG_0629.JPG

This VOX cab came with a swivel trolley that allowed you to tilt the cab up or down, while the top part of the rack held an amp head.
I still have the trolley somewhere in the attic but for now I like the cab sitting on end like this.
As near as I can tell this was a Buckingham cab and stand. I never saw the head.

This cab also has a Goodmans Midax 15 ohm horn and oil cap crossover.
It is a 5 x 2.5" horn and the horn part is made of cast aluminum.

Years ago I would use this cab in a hi fi setup in my house.
But this time around I removed the horn.

This cab will serve it's purpose for as long as I need to but eventually I want to buy a more modern vertical 2x12 cab that I can set the amp on.

Here's the horn, I wonder if it is worth anything?
Not much is said about it in the places I have looked.

I recently acquired a TC Electronics G Sharp rack effects unit.
It has one bank of effects for delay, chorus, flanger, phaser and another that are different types of reverb from big hall to plate types.
It really sounds better than my pedal reverbs I had used before.
Much higher quality sound, just more refined, cleaner.
I had always heard TC Electronics was good stuff but I never had the $400-500 for the G Major or other higher priced ones.
I picked this unit up for $100 on the bay.

So now I have the signal from my FX loop go to the chorus pedal, tremolo, EHX Stereo Memory Man, Boss RV-7 reverb pedal which I use the modulation effect on, then the signal goes to the G Sharp then returns to the FX loop.

Some day I will take the guts from the FX Loop and install them in a 1U single rack size enclosure. I had to use this big one because of the size of the power transformer.

I am planning a 100w version of this amp and I may incorporate a rack space in the head cab. I saw this on another cab and thought it would be cool to have the rack unit sit in the bottom of the cab.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Travst

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project, Tom. I pulled this from my Stones file. I've always liked the chrome bar setup with the Vox amps.

slotrod65

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I just love VOX anything. Pretty much.
power chord hack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP!!
You've still got the freakin trolly??!!

WOW!
Man, if you still had the original speakers....

I'll look in my Vox book when I get home & see if I can ID it.

You should throw it in the truck & drive down. We'll put some alnico blues in it and hook up the AC30 Cool

Looks like Northcoast has some cabs with that logo...

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/vox/collection/collection.html
rhardman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom--

The goodman's stuff is actually well thought of by the hi-fi crowd...don't toss it. Just put a variable pad on it and dial it in above 2K or 3k. Leave the 12s full range.
TINKERTAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cab is great looking for its age!
I had a Vox Berkley II that was on the trolley...it carried 10" speakers, but the trolley was great....

Those original trollies could fetch some bucks!!

Enjoy!!

Tinker
indianjjy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: vox Reply with quote

Man Tom, that is really awesome !!!!!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: