The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speaker break in question..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Speaker break in question.. Reply with quote

If you install a brand new speaker and are breaking it in... have you ever have one that would cut out slightly when pushed?

I bought a brand new Jensen MOD 6" speaker for my lil' Marshall and I notice when pushed hard it will slightly cutout. I don't want this as you can imagine. The speaker itself sounds absolutely FANTASTIC!
indianjjy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: amp Reply with quote

Sounds to me, IMHO,that you are driving the speaker more than it is rated...FWIW... Had the same thing happen to me with a 8 incher...Got another 8 inch ratted 10 watts higher and the problem went away...

John
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that... The amp puts out 2 watts... the speaker is rated for 15 watts. Smile
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it kinda farty sounding? The speaker in one of my amps was like that until I got it broke in good.
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... nice and tight.... just will cut out for a split second every now and then... got me stumped. The old speaker never did that...
atubbs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Ohm rating on the speaker something the amp can handle? I've had issues with amps cutting in and out if the speaker was rated at a lower ohm than the amp was recommended to run at. Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: