The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Series / Parallel wiring help, please...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
power chord hack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Series / Parallel wiring help, please... Reply with quote

Can anyone think of a way the push/pull in the diagram to function as a series/parallel switch?

I want it to function as a typical 2 pickup setup where the center position on the 3-way is parallel and pulling the p/p changes it to both in series.
I thought I had it. I can get the series /parallel to work but the volume doesn't work...

rdkienle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I understand your schematic - you have the pup leads going to a little square and then the push pull pot has no wires hooked up. First I think you have to have the pups directly wired to the push-pull switch. It doesn't matter which pot you have the switch on as long as the output goes to the right spot.

Here are a few links I found that will help you wire the switch:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/sw3.php

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/serpar.html

Although these are for humbuckers just use the +/- from each pup and it will work.

RK
power chord hack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdkienle:

Sorry, yeah I was a little unclear... The diagram is a generic 2 pup / 1 vol / 1 tone / 3-way toggle setup. I'm using this as a starting point.
There aren't any leads going to the p/p... yet. That's what I'm missing. I need to know how to convert the wiring in the diagram so the p/p will add a series/parallel feature to this setup.
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, the P/P switch has to connect the positive lead of one pickup to the negative lead of the other (when it's pulled). Not much help, I know - I've got a diagram somewhere but it's pencil on paper . . .
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good place to start. Pretend the two coils of the humbucker are your two single coils:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=ssp
power chord hack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:
Here's a good place to start. Pretend the two coils of the humbucker are your two single coils:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=ssp

Thx I've seen that. The problem is with that setup there is one output lead coming off the p/p. That leaves no way for a 3-way selector switch to function properly.

Here's what I've been working with. Series only works when the 3-way is on bridge or middle. I'm OK with that.
Something else is wrong. There's a signal bleed somewhere.
Maybe I just installed it wrong...

BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Series / Parallel wiring help, please... Reply with quote

power chord hack wrote:
Can anyone think of a way the push/pull in the diagram to function as a series/parallel switch?

I want it to function as a typical 2 pickup setup where the center position on the 3-way is parallel and pulling the p/p changes it to both in series.
I thought I had it. I can get the series /parallel to work but the volume doesn't work...

Let me just make sure I understand the goal. You're looking for a normal two-pickup and toggle setup, only you want a push-pull to put both pickups on and in series no matter where the toggle switch is*? That should be doable, but if I'm thinking about this right, there's no way to have the toggle selector work in both series AND parallel. With the equipment you have on hand, you get one or the other.

*sorry, shoulda said bridge or middle
power chord hack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Series / Parallel wiring help, please... Reply with quote

BluesmanDave wrote:

Let me just make sure I understand the goal. You're looking for a normal two-pickup and toggle setup, only you want a push-pull to put both pickups on and in series no matter where the toggle switch is

Bingo.

I think I have it worked out, thus:

But something's wrong - the vol and tone are non functional so there's a signal bleed somewhere.
But maybe I just installed it wrong.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you have the volume and tone sitting in this diagram? Is there only one set of v&t, or do you have one set for each pickup?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: