The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dimarsio paf pro's...with an evo middle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
top_cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Dimarsio paf pro's...with an evo middle Reply with quote

I've got a late 80s pair of pink Dimarzio paf pro's for one of my jem projects measuring 8.4 ohms at the neck and 9.0 at the bridge.

I've got a Dimarzio evolution single that I'm putting in the middle position and this Is my dilemma, the evo single Is high output 13.4 ohms and I'm not sure about using the option on the Dimarzio multi switch to split the paf to mix with the powerful evo single, Is this a bad Idea, would the evo just overpower the split Paf's tone.

I don't really care about splitting the paf's would It be a better Idea to just wire them, H...H/S...S...H/S...H, on a five way switch......thanks
top_cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try from another angle, How Is a humbucker strat with a single middle wired, Is the humbucker splittable so It can utilise humbucking with a reverse wound single middle pick up.
I realise The humbucker In a strat Is likely to be of a higher output than my PAF Pro's, and that Is my dilemma.

From what I've read most using a modern Evo middle would change the bridge PAF for a higher output humbucker, because most jem players are shredders Laughing ....but I want to keep the flexibility of the PAF Pro's.

The older Paf's will have originally been paired with a lower output single.

So I suppose I'm asking... will a low impedance, fairly low output split humbucker work ok as a humbucker with a reverse wound hot single....and what are the disadvantages likely to be, If any.........thanks
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what you are trying to accomplish.

Do you know if the single coil EVO is reverse pole/ reverse winding relative to the two Dimarzio PAF Pros? e.g. Does it say it on Dimarzio website?

I like the idea of having a 5-way switch where the "2 "and "4" positions splits the PAFs and combines it with the middle single coil. You get some Strat-quack like tone.

Yeah, the single coil EVO maybe over-powering the split coil(s) of the PAFs so you don't really get a 'greatest' Strat-quack tone. But try experimenting.

I had a similar set up with hodge-podge pickup set-up Bill Lawerence L500 (bridge), L90 (neck), and a Jackson single coil in the middle. The Shaller Mega switch gave the bridge pickup a split coil parallel with middle pickup. I did get a reasonable Strat-like quack tone but when I changed the pickup to another Bill Lawerence single coil L250[?] it did not give me the Strat-like quack tone. Not sure why, kind of blamed it on the Bill Lawerence L250 because this was not the 'real' Bill Lawerence pickup.

bumping up to see if others chime in.
top_cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the single Is reverse wound, I would like as many tone options as possible but If the only benefit from splitting the PAF's was a quiet hot middle pickup that would be OK

Thanks Roland. .
Pink Meanie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have much to add but I am putting together the guitar in my avatar with two PAF Pro's and a single coil Dimarzio in the middle. I can't remember which one it is. Blue Velvet I think. Its close to what the original Jems used to have in them. I was going to do coil tap pots in the volume and tone but it started to get to complicated. After looking at the Dimarzio site I found the original Jem diagrams and that's what I am going to do instead.
smoss469

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it two man ways when wiring an HSH setup.

Bridge Humbucker
Bridge Humbucker + Middle
Middle
Middle + Neck Humbucker
Neck Humbucker

or

Bridge Humbucker
1 coil of Bridge Humbucker + Middle
Middle
Middle + 1 coil of Neck Humbucker
Neck Humbucker

I guess it depends on what you're after. Do you find yourself using the 2/4 positions on a Strat? Or are you a mainly single pickup kind of guy?
top_cat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think simple Is the best way to go. I do have a few of the Dimarzio wiring drawings, I dont want to spend 25 on the Dimarzio multi switch and risk not being able to use half of the options.
I was thinking your last opption Smoss, splitting the buckers It's just I've heard a few tales of awfull sound due to a mismatched split bucker and single.

In hindsight I should have bought something similar to the split PAF In output for the middle single, but I liked the Idea of the high output middle and the flexibility of the PAF's, which I still should be able to accomplish.

Would the straight humbucker mixed with the reverse wound singlel be hum canceling.
I would think without splitting It would just mix the two.
RolandR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's would be my suggestion (not recommendation since taste vary) set up with your pickup configuration:

1 - bridge only
2 - split coil bridge (nearest bridge) and middle (should be hum canceling)
3 - middle only
4 - split coil neck (closes to the neck) and middle (should be hum canceling)
5 - neck only

This could be accomplish easily with a Shaller Mega switch. There's only 5 solder tabs (if I recall) on this switch. It has direction which tab to solder to accomplish this. I assume that your Dimarzios came with direction which color wires for each coil.

But like you said, the middle coil might be over powering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: