The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tube Depot 18w Kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Tube Depot 18w Kit Reply with quote

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies, but this looks pretty nice for $849.95.

18w Combo Kit

Video build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEV1gluwcUM

Illustrated manual
http://site.tubedepot.com/pdf/british18w_v1.pdf
breenemeister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a heck of a deal given that everything is included. I just watched the build video and he made it look so freaking easy. I'm sure I'd find some places to screw up.
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, where the hell is my "drool" smilie?
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
antiquodian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody say something negative quick before I pull the trigger on this one!!!!
Structo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a decent price especially since the cabinet and speaker is included.
18 watt amps can sound really good.
THe few I have played allowed you to run the amp from your guitar.
That is they clean up when you turn down then crunch when you turn up.

What I found confusing is that the picture on the site shows a combo cab but the instructions show a head cab, unless I skipped something.
I would check into that since a combo and speaker is going to cost more than a head cab of course.
The instructions say it does not include speaker but the site description does.
So I would clear that up.

The other things to watch out for in kits is sub par quality parts but as I skimmed the parts list most looked adequate for this amp.
Things like caps, resistors, sockets, etc can make or break a kit if they are sub par.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Travst

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built an 18-watt from parts. Having gone that route, I think kits are a great idea unless you want upgrades that aren't available in the kit. It saves a bunch of time and hassle looking up parts, ordering, and then forgetting the one cap you need to finish that the Shack doesn't have in stock. I hung out on 18watt.com and other amp forums for six months and read a couple of books before I tackled the build. Even then, I had to ask for some help along the way.

As far as tone goes, it's been my favorite amp for a year. At low volume, I may hit it with an OD or use my MiniMass to cut the volume. With 2 12s, it packs a lot of punch. I really love the cleans I get with my Strat, but it does run out of headroom above 5 on the volume. However, that's all part of the charm. It's warm and full, but packs a punch when you need it. I spend most of my time with the 18-watt and my Reason Bambino.
sonicblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering building the combo. Still on the fence... I don't even like Marshalls but this one sounds nice to my ear. I think it would be a great recording amp at the very least.

One thing with the kits I've seen is they use the same chassis for the head and combo, so the tubes mount horizontally inside the combo and you have to pull the chassis to tinker with the tubes. I think I'd prefer them hanging vertically, Fender style, for convenience and heat dissipation. I see that GDS Amps offers a chassis for vertical tube mount.
Wardo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I'm sure these amps sound good - they look good too.

But I'm confused why anyone would build one of these. There's a used Bluesbreaker down the road from my place in 9/10 condition for 1000 Cdn, which is probably 925-950 $US right now.

Why not just pony up the extra hundred bucks or so and get the actual Marshall? I'm sure they're around you guys too.

If that 18 watt kit were 500 bucks, that's a different story, but...the pure pleasure of building a clone amp for 100 bones less than the real thing doesn't appeal to me.

Plus, nobody wants to buy clone amps if you sell.
Vince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't that the truth... no resale value bugs me. I made out OK on my Ceriatone by trading it. Outright I would have lost at least half... and that's if I could get someone to bid on it.

Even on the reissues, there are things you need to look for. I know on the first run of Bluesbreakers, the cab wasn't deep enough to handle KT66 tubes! The second run was vintage correct and gets rave reviews.

Just depends on what you want as usual.
smoss469

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to build a little tweed combo, but the price exceeds getting a decent used one. The frugal side of me won't let me do it!
Wardo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Quote:
Just depends on what you want as usual.

I'd want the one that says, "Marshall" on it. Smile
sonicblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Wardo wrote:

But I'm confused why anyone would build one of these. There's a used Bluesbreaker down the road from my place in 9/10 condition for 1000 Cdn, which is probably 925-950 $US right now.

This isn't a Bluesbreaker; it's an 18-watt a.k.a. 1974x. They go for about $2200 new and $1600 on the used market. Vintage ones are unobtainable.

You can roll your own for well under a grand and feel free to tweak or mod the heck out of it without any concern of "devaluing" a name-brand collector piece, in addition to the enjoyment of actually building it.
power chord hack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been jonesing for an 18 for a while - been really close to pulling the trigger on a Trinity kit several times.

Buuuuut I already had too much stuff Rolling Eyes

Trinity kits look really cool & can be had for a reasonable price:
http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Parts.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: