The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One can or two?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rcelley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: One can or two? Reply with quote

How many reranch aerosol cans of surf green will it take to do a strat body. It will be sealed and then primed with BINS. Oh, and here's a poll just for the heck of it.
32203miracle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can should be plenty.

Plain or crunchy.
Neither --- I can't have peanut butter any more. Evil or Very Mad
ranman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done spraying my Tele body in Surf primed with BIN's and it took 1 can, including re-spraying a couple of thin spots.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 1 can. It covers real well, but really take a close look at it because its hard to see any light ares with this color. You kinda go blind to the white after a while. Inspect it thoroughly after it dries and maybe shoot 1 more coat for assurance. I know I did after I thought I was done but upon inspection I noticed I had some fine areas that you could just barely see some primer through it.
Rcelley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the input. The surf green thing started when I asked my wife "which of these colors do you like best?", and she chose surf green, and then I thought, "heck she should have a strat of her very own so I'll do this one and give it to her." Miracle, too bad on that PB situation, not even real PB with no trans fats? I have a whole thing going with blood pressure, not bad just a concern, so I've been doing some nutrition study on the whole fat and choleterol subject.
Porter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I have tried the Surf Green, but I would DEFINATELY go with crunchy... Can't go wrong! Laughing
Jerry68

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With primer, I can get up to 3 guitars out of a can of reranch opaqe lacquer. I have gotten 4 guitars out of a can of reranch blonde, and I swear there is stioll 1/2 a can left. A nitro color finish should be as thin as possible, just don't sand until you have a few coats of clear over the color coat.

This guitar is the 3rd out of a can of Daphne blue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: