The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finish Options Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

See the pic in the thread below that shows an Ash body with solid color and no grain fill. I am considering the same thing, but with a Strat, solid seafoam green with a parchment picguard
Don't Grain Fill ... the grain pattern will be cool with the seafoam green
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Grain Fill ... it will look terrible with the grain pattern showing
86%
 86%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 29

Powerblues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
I like the bass that Low End did.
I suppose it depends on the color on whether or not it looks ok.

So I vote grain fill on Seafoam. Very Happy

+1

I can see this with the right color, but not Seafoam...

A minute seems like a lifetime, Baby when I feel this way...
MASTRSTRAT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson did something like that with the Voodoo series. They used red grain filler, then finished the body in black so the red grain would show. but you could still feel the grain through the paint. With the right color it would look really cool, but I just don't know about green. I vote to fill.

emiller160

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... as curious as I am about how it would look without grain fill, I'm going to go with the grain fill before shooting the remainder of the primer and seafoam green. Thanks for your inputs.

As a side note, Lowend, I do think that black lends itself very well to the non-fill option.
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but that's not one that I actually did. It was actually an item that Rondo used to carry. The one in my avatar isn't filled, and I kinda dig the natural look to it.

"You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan." ~M. DeCluette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: