The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one would you treasure?
43%
 43%  [ 16 ]
40%
 40%  [ 15 ]
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 37

Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys... I am leaning toward Seafoam green now.... I know, I know it wasn't a choice but I like how subtle it is especially after some aging. And...you really don't see too many of them out there. I plan on slightly relicing it also... instant classic! Very Happy
Houndog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"instant classic!" That depends on whether you're good at relicing. It could be an instant classic, or a joke, there's a fine line between the two. Remember it's easier to add more "Age" than it is to remove it if you go too far. Try to keep in mind that wear happens in fairly predictable places, and never in some others. A cigarette burn next to the controls will look retarded. Wear marks where nothing ever ( or rarely) touches the body, stick out like a sore thumb.
Houndog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't misplace my tin foil cap, THEY TOOK IT! Good thing I saved the blueprints, so now I can make another one! Shocked
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned probably 50 classic guitars in my day and believe me... I know where guitars wear and will not go overboard on the relicing.

I am going to slightly wear the finish off on the upper contour where my arm rests only down to the primer, a few small dings here and there. steel wool the pickguard and lightly stain it on the lower half. Of course a cigarette burn on the headstock since that's where my cigarettes usually go anyway. Very Happy

I am going to go light on the relicing. As a matter of fact I will probably just buy some used hardware to go on it instead of using an acid bath. One exception will be the tuners.... those will be new.
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like surf green............

<<<<<<<<<

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this look for relicing?

Structo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good tip I read, probably from Jerry68, was to take the body after cured and polished and place it into a cardboard box with assorted srews, washers, bolts and give it a few shakes.

Guitar Amp Repair
Houndog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you no longer own the classic guitars you mentioned? Post some photos if you have them, we love pictures of classics! Hmmmm. I quit smoking in January ( Not even one slip!), so now if I put a cigarette burn on a new guitar it will look phoney! Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... I wish I would have kept all those Les Pauls, SG's, Original USA B.C Rich Mockingbirds and Bich's throughout the years.... but life is like a roller coaster... gone with the wind I'm afraid.

I was always a "dyed in the wool" Gibson man in my heart like ol' Les himself. I always thought a strat sounded soooo thin until I realized they required different settings to stack up against a Gibson. Finally now I am starting to appreciate the Fender way.... has taken several years but it's never too late.

Currently I own 2 Epiphone Les Paul's, 2 Squier strats and a '79 Dean V brought back to original specs and it's a monster!

Prices are outragous for originals anymore and can't seem to find a good deal anywhere.... so I settle for the next best thing. I guess I could sell all the cheapy's and get a real guitar but I like having the variety. All the guitars I have are solid and sound great.

I just hope this guitar meets my expectations....
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand body and contour did you go with?

Guitar Amp Repair
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get cigarette burns on my guitars. I have one of these that holds my ashtray, along with smokes, picks, and my drink. Cool

Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body is a B. Hefner Alder 60's contour and the neck is a MM birdseye maple w/ebony 22 jumbo fret board.
Vince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er.... OK.

I feel kinda dumb right now.... How many cans of SS, primer, color and CC do I need to complete this project?

I was assuming one of each but am second guessing myself now since I don't want to run short and RR be closed.

Thanks!

P.S Structo, Yes your right... Surf Green! Very Happy
Houndog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,1,1,&2. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: