The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry fitting completed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color?
2-3 tone sunburst
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
purple green chameleon
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Dry fitting completed Reply with quote

I am now waiting for the callaham unit. I dry fitted all the parts. The neck pocket is enlarged, I made it a loose fit on purpose. When everything is finished its gonna be a tight fit. Warmoth should machine their parts to take this into consideration.... I enlarged the neck pocket hole... the hole was not dead on and I suspect it was done by hand... by enlarging the hole it relieves any stress on the neck heel and makes it so you don't have to be dead on with the holes. Once the neck plate is in place they are covered.

I enlarged the neck pocket with a small chisel(!) because I don't have a router, and the neck pocket side wall makes it very difficult to make sandpapers work, if I did make it work it would take forever and look ugly... I took a ruler and clamped it to the side wall as a guide, then slowly shave off some wood with a sharp chisel. The side wall looks quite rough but the 22 fret extension and the pickguard covers a multitude of sin. Sustain is not affected by the side wall by the way... it is affected by having a good tight fit for the neck pocket face. Fender machines their neck pocket loose so that the parts will fit once finished.

The pickguard was a very tight fit because the assembly was meant for a Fender American Deluxe (it has stock SCN pickup) which has HSH route. This has a SSS route and a very small one at that, so a lot of tying and taping is needed to get the pickguard to fit, and even then its a tight fit. Im not even sure if it will fit anymore once I add copper shield to the mix...

I need help deciding if I should sunburst this or paint it in purple green chameleon... I already matched the headstock and if I painted this sunburst then it will be a serious mismatch.
Jai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chameleon...haven't seen that yet. You can be the one to show us. Smile
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai wrote:

chameleon is like duplicolor mirage.... the color changes depending on viewing angle.
Jai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahimiiii wrote:
Jai wrote:

chameleon is like duplicolor mirage.... the color changes depending on viewing angle.

right...i'm familiar with what it is Smile ...i was saying you should do it. sorry if my wording was confusing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: